The photos below were taken with a Polaroid Land Camera. You can find these at thrift stores, yard sales and swap meets. I got a Model 335 at a flea market in Berkley for $8, which I think is a pretty good price because it came in the original case, with the flash, booklet and cold plate.

I like the effect of implied movement that you sometimes get with the Land Camera, well, almost everytime the subject is moving at all.

Model numbers to look for: 350, 360 420, etc. AVOID model #s of the 100 & 200 series, they take "roll" film (that's been discontinued) rather than cartridges.

The type film available is Polaroid 667 b/w and 669 color. These come in 10-pack cartridges and cost around $10-$15. Ask if they have out-of-date film- they usually sell it for less and it still works, most the time.

You can "draw" on polaroids, out of a one-step type camera (see example below). Right after the photo pops out, start "drawing" on it, with your finger, a pencil eraser, whatever.

Try it with a Land polaroid, before you pull off the chemical sensitive paper. Let me know how it turns out, I haven't tried it yet.

Return to Main Page

Film and Destroy

Thanks so much for visiting!

The website version of FILM AND DESTROY (.org) was originally created
and published online in 1995 by multi-disciplinary artist Bridget Irish.

Last checked (for defunct links, etc) in 2013.

Olympia 1995-1996
San Francisco 1996-1999
Olympia 1999-Present